Monday, May 12, 2008

Doctor Who: The Doctor's Daughter (Series 4)


There are a vocal group of Doctor Who fans who despise the fact that the Doctor in the new series has become categorically heterosexual. Some wanted him to be above such things and some just hoped he was gay or bi. Be fair guys, it was signposted in 1963: he has a granddaughter and was chasing an Aztec lady. Not really a surprise.
Regardless, there was a lot of caution in the fan community at the discovery that episode six was called The Doctor's Daughter, and all the straight Doctor-hating fans held their breaths hoping desperately that she wasn't really the Doctor's daughter, and as events transpired it turns out that they got their wish as Jenny was created by a generator using the Doctor's DNA. However, stirring the pot, the Doctor later informed us that he has most definitely been a father before and that Jenny reminded him of the pain of losing his kids. Mad gay mad Doctor Who fans began to cry.

Trivia time: Georgia Moffett for the uninitiated, is the daughter of former Doctor Who actor Peter Davison (the chap that reprised the role last year briefly in the Children In Need Special) and what's more, she auditioned for the role of Rose. Obviously she didn't get it, but it's great that she finally got to appear as, appropriately, the Doctor's daughter. Georgia is extremely attractive as well, and I have to admit that I noticed at one point the Doctor was wandering around with a blonde, a brunette and a redhead. Lucky, LUCKY bastard.

The story itself was quite sweet and not too taxing, mainly centered around the hook that we were meeting the Doctor's daughter and he then had to try to teach his soldier-programmed offspring that she didn't have to fight. The episode itself, of course, becomes a chase as the Doctor and his companions (albeit separately) try to get to the "source" before two armies do. The big twist is discovered by Donna, who shows herself to be extremely resourceful as she is determined to understand the numbers that are scattered around the building they are in. Martha's storyline is to get to the source by herself, with one of the opposing army by her side.

I have to say, though, that as much as I was looking forward to this episode, I think it was a mistake to get Stephen Greenhorn to write this episode. When the Hath, Peck, died, no matter how much Martha sobbed I wasn't particularly moved - and I'm a sympathetic crier. Equally, when Jenny sacrificed herself for the Doctor, I wasn't particularly moved. The performances were all great, so my feeling is that it should have gone to one of the more "emotional" writers - Russell T Davies, Paul Cornell or Rob Shearman. This episode should have made me cry. I should have sobbed my heart out at the end and then praised the skies at the coda, but I didn't really feel that. That was disappointing.
I'm assuming that at some point Jenny will make a return (and it will be disappointing if she doesn't because she's a great character) and I'll be looking forward to that, but I feel that this episode missed a trick.

"B+"

No comments: